Here’s a little quiz I created to pinpoint your social media fear factor. Seems everything I read Monday was associated with taking risks like skydiving, bungee jumping or zany scary free fall theme park rides. That would make my fear factor off the chart; in fact, I’d not survive either experience.
Perhaps some of you feel the same way about social media? I’m also thinking you’re not sharing it if you are; hence, this line of questioning to get it all out in the open. Then you can move out of your own way and engage already.
While you’re mulling over why you’re not engaged, I’m here to help push the envelope. Want to chat for 15 minutes about why you may not be tweeting? I’ll offer baby steps you need to launch. Want to chat with me for 30 minutes and get a tutorial on Twitter and learn more than just basic elements? I’ll help you do that, too. Don’t be afraid to ask and receive!
Check all the boxes that apply in each question. When done, count them up and look below for the unscientific analysis.
1. You have a Twitter account that: Is dormant  Is used ~4x/week or less  Has <100 followers  Has <100 tweets
2. You don’t tweet because: You aren’t clever enough to write 140  No one needs to know your life story You have nothing to sell  You’re happily married and don’t need a new partner You don’t have a blog so there’s nothing to promote  You lack confidence Twitter is a bunch of malarkey
3. You refuse to launch Facebook because: Farmville sucks  No way are you re-connecting with high schoolers You want privacy  No one is using it for business anyway
4. LinkedIn is definitely OK, but: You can’t get as many links as your boss  It’s dormant except for the occasional invite Too many strange questions on groups annoy you  It’s a popularity fest and you hate to compete
5. You’re not blogging because: You have nothing to say  You have no time  You need your extra sleep You haven’t the faintest idea where to begin You don’t know what SEO means You’re too old to start something new You’d rather talk to your dog
6. You’re not engaging in social media because: Social media is a fad and it’s going away Social media is a waste of time You have nothing to sell, so why bother You have no time to learn anything new for now
If you checked 25 to 29 boxes, you have serious antipathy against social media and you’re likely never to get over it.
If you checked 18 to 24 boxes, you’re on the brink of not seeing the forest through the trees. Call me to save you.
If you checked 10 to 17 boxes, you are engaging in social media although you’re just not a freak like some of us.
If you checked 1 to 9 boxes, you have hope! You can easily be rescued from social media fear factor!
(But call me anyway…if you’d rather talk to your dog than start a blog, I’ve got to change that ‘TUDE!)